I’m thrilled to introduce another Mothers Day DIY gift craft idea. In this video, I show you how to make a foot soak that mom will love and that will help de-stress, relax and be the most perfect aromatherapy for her. With this gift, she can take the time for a little selfcare and as we all know, ALL moms deserve this.
The other reason that I liked this DIY is that it takes me back a few years ago when I taught a class called The Beauty Bar. It was a class for elementary and middle school students who wanted to make bath and body products like whipped butter lotion, lip balm and custom perfume. And it has been acoupla years since I really made bath and body products so I was really looking forward to this DIY.
For this particular recipe, I was inspired by FabulouslyFrugal.com but as always I adjusted the recipe to meet my needs. So check out my version of the recipe below.
Ingredients: rose petal epsom salt, baking soda, orange, orange tea and sweet orange essential oil.
Additional supplies: mixing bowl, dry ingredient measuring cups, mandolin or just a regular knife to cut the orange into slices, measuring spoons, pipette (optional) and a spoon to mix everything together.
This first step is optional. But I was excited to do it as it was a new skill to learn. I dried several slices of oranges. This ingredient is not integral to the recipe but is a nice finishing touch.
I decided to use a mandolin to slice the oranges so that I could get them as thin as possible. The thinner they are, the less time it takes to dry them.
Preheating the oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit, I was able to dry the slices in about 2 and half hours. Now my initial idea was to have the slices line the sides of the jar but since the slices had dried, they wouldn’t mold around the curved sides. Bummer. So I ended up putting one slice on top as you will see below.
So I will admit that I LOVED the combined fragrances of sweet orange essential oil and the rose petals scent from the Epsom salts. It was absolutely divine.
So this is how I ended up using the dried orange slice.
Bias as I may be, I believe this would be a great gift for Mother’s Day.
Check out the video here as well as the recipe below.
Orange Rose Foot Soak
- 3/4 cup rose petal epsom salt
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 3 teabags orange tea
- 15+ drops sweet orange essential oil
- 1 slice dried orange slices
- This first step is optional: cut an orange into thin slices and place them on a parchment paper lined baking tray. Bake in a preheated oven @ 200 degrees Farenheit for 2+ hours. After about 1 hour, turn the slices up side down. Once dried, allow to cool before storing in an airtight container.
- Meanwhile, measure and combine the rest of the ingredients, except 1 teabag. Mix well.
- Then pour into the jar. I used a 12 oz jar.
- Once the slices have dried and cooled, place on top of the soak mixture and sprinkle around it with the last teabag.
- Close the jar and place the label. All done.