Chocolate bark is an easy way to personalize and make a classic Valentine’s Day gift more special.
All you need is chocolate and whatever you want to use to decorate it. I used sprinkles and pink candy melts.
The first step is to prepare where you are going to assemble the chocolate bark on. Cover a baking sheet with either parchment paper or wax paper. The chocolate bark needs to set in the fridge, so make sure to clear a spot in your fridge for a baking sheet. Alternatively, you can use a dinner plate or something else instead.
This is also the time to prepare whatever topping you are going to use. There are plenty of ideas on the internet, some of my favorites are: dried fruit and nuts, graham crackers and marshmallows (smores!), pretzels and caramel, and finally, your favorite candy.
After everything is prepared its time to melt your chocolate.
I used the microwave to melt my chocolate (you could also use a double boiler). Put your chocolate into a microwave safe bowl. If using chocolate from a bar, chop it into smaller pieces first. I found a cup of chocolate chips almost perfectly filled a dinner plate.
Microwave first for 30 seconds and stir thoroughly after it comes out. If not melted fully, put it back in for 15 seconds intervals, stirring thoroughly after each one, until it is fully melted.
Once fully melted spread your chocolate onto your prepared surface. Use the back of a spoon to spread it out evenly. Aim for about 1/2 cm thickness.
Add your decoration. Afterwards, place your chocolate into the fridge for about 30 minutes to let it set up.
After it is set, pull it out of the fridge and place it on a cutting board. With a sharp knife cut your bark up into pieces, go slowly. Usually, applying a little bit of pressure will make the chocolate break on its own. Make these pieces as big or as small as you want.
And you are done! Last step is to enjoy or to package in an air tight container.
Another idea is to use two types of chocolate (or chocolate and candy melts) in your chocolate bark. You could use white chocolate or candy melts that come in a range of colors (I used pink for Valentine’s day).
Follow all the steps for the first chocolate bark (preparing your surface and melting your chocolate). Just this time you will have two chocolates that you are melting. Because there are two chocolates I used a half cup of each. Having a friend in the kitchen to help will make melting the two chocolates easier.
Once both chocolates are melted, pour out one onto the plate and spread, like before. Then add the other chocolate on top. Try to spread out the second chocolate across your surface.
Use a tooth pick to swirl the two chocolates together.
Add any other toppings that you want to and set the chocolate in the fridge for roughly 30 minutes.
Like before, cut you chocolate into pieces using a sharp knife.
And now you have chocolate bark in two designs!
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup candy melts (optional)
- Toppings (fruit, nuts, sprinkles, small candy, etc.)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat the chocolate chips in the microwave for 30 seconds, then stir thoroughly.
- Heat the chocolate chips in the microwave for 15 seconds, then stir thoroughly. Repeat this step until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Optional: If using candy melts / another type of chocolate melt them now following the above steps.
- Pour the melted chocolate chips onto the lined baking sheet and spread into an even layer with the back of a spoon.
- Optional: Pour the melted candy melts on top of the base chocolate. Use a tooth pick to create swirls and mix the two together.
- Add your toppings of choice to the chocolate.
- Place the baking sheet with the chocolate bark into the fridge. Leave it to set for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the fridge and place the set chocolate on a cutting board. With a sharp knife, cut the chocolate into pieces (roughly palm size).